Saturday 13 August 2011

"We"




     Just when you think you have it all figured out along comes a very shy very ample young man.  To say this young man was ample may be an understatement.  When I first saw him I thought (as I often do) thank heavens I don't need to dress him!!!!  But there he was right in front of me asking about suspenders.  He could not find any suspenders that would clip on.  He was wearing his own dress pants.  This was a very good thing.  I had a moment of pause.  Smiled.  The last thing he needed was to see that I was a  rattled.  In a job like mind complete confidence is the key.  He had found a shirt that was small for him and I remembered that I had an eighteen and one half size dress shirt that had just been washed.  I grabbed that from the laundry rack.  "Why don't we try this one I think we might be able to get the top button done up and then you can wear a bow tie" I said with a slight quiver in my voice.  I use the word "we" often not as the royal "we" but as "we" are in this together kind of  "we" !!  "I don't know how to tie a bow tie"  he replied.  "That's alright" I said  " I will help you".  My mind was starting to focus on who he was.  A tall, good looking young man with short black hair. After so many years of dressing people  I have the habit of looking a their shape first and personality later.  But, we still had a suspender problem.  All the ones on the rack need buttons on the pants.  "How about a vest" he said.  This young man was thinking.  I pulled a vest.  He put it on.  We were getting somewhere.  All that was left was a hat.  Fedora, Boater, Panama, Cloth Cap?  We settled on a brown Fedora.  I stood back and looked at him.  I was very satisfied he looked great.  "Have a good day" I said.  He smiled and left.  After all these years it is good to know that "we" can still be challenged.

No comments:

Post a Comment