Sunday 7 August 2011

Body Shapes


I know this
will come
as a shock
to many, but people 
come in different sizes!!!

This may not be a problem for you.  You only have yourself to think about.
And, hopefully you know your size and shape.  This is one HUGE problem for me as I need to fit 45 different sizes in women's costume.  I gave up thinking to much about it years ago as the collection of 1920's costume grew.  It can be a terrifying thought to start a costume wardrobe this
big.  It is like putting on a stage play seven days a week with different actors each day.  Impossible you say!  Almost, but the problem needs to be approached one costume at a time.  I was lucky our time period was the first half of the 1920's.
The styles for women had very little shape.  Almost straight up and down and loose fitting.  This meant that one size may fit two or three women.  At first the female historical interpreters had one dress to wear that only fit them.  As time went by and I worked until my little fingers bled, we had the beginning of a pool of costumes for women.  Costumes for summer and winter were needed. I had an amazing group of volunteers who also worked long and hard.  They had a habit of calling my work shop "the sweat shop"!  Think about it we needed
Dresses
Sweaters
Aprons
Blouses
Skirts
Coats
Walking Suits
and
Accessories
The accessories will need to wait for another time
as Hats alone will take one days writing. The costume collection has taken fifteen years to get to the point it is now and there is a lot more work to be done. So when you look at that sweet little dress and wonder "what size will I need" think of me and be happy you only come in one size!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment